Rick Cook

Lew Hartswick wrote:
Don Foreman wrote:

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 14:50:51 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

I'm reading an interesting novel about the island of Nantucket
getting transported back in time to 1200 BC.

SNip

I'll be looking for that book next visit to Borders.

OK just what is the name of this book?

...lew...

That's Steve Stirling's "Island in the Sea of Time".

Most of what Steve writes is good -- although most of it isn't nearly as
technically oriented. His real interest is history, especially military
history, and it comes out in a lot of alternate universe stories.

I had dinner one time with him and Harry Turtledove and we got off on
these history and alternate history themes -- and what a rat Roger
Zelazny was for not finishing the "Amber" series. It was a fascinating
dinner, especially since unbeknownst to Steve and Harry, Roger Zelazny
was sitting one table over.

If you like "Island", you'd probably also like Eric Flint's "1632",
"1633" and "1634" The Galileo Affair" about a West Virginia coal mining
town tossed back into Germany in the middle of the 30 Years War.

Have you every considered what a modern boring machine would do for the
accuracy and power of 17th Century cannon? Or how to build an airplane
out of what's just lying around?

--RC