Asimov

" bravely wrote to "All" (12 Feb 05 01:51:13)
--- on the heady topic of " Fix for toaster heat coil?"

my From:
my Xref: aeinews sci.electronics.repair:10309

my Since this topic came up. I have a nearly new toaster, but I got a
my mouse in the house an the damn thing had to go in my toaster, which I
my could tell from the mouse poop on the bottom. I am not going to use
my the toaster unless I can thoroughly wash it out. Is it possible to
my dip the whole toaster in a pail of bleach water and then rinse and let
my it completely dry before plugging it in? I know most electrical
my devices can be submerged in water as long as they totally dry before
my being used. I just wonder if the toaster will hold up? I guess it's
my trash either way, because it will go in the trash if I can not clean
my it, and will get trashed if i do clean it and it no longer works, so
my all I can do is try. But I thought I'd ask anyhow.

The bleach alone won't rid the toaster of the odour because of the
ammonia in the urine. You need to first use a very mild acid such as
vinegar or other to neutralize the ammonia. Trouble is any acid is bad
for the paint finish and electrical switch contacts but those in a
simple toaster (without any electronics) are pretty tough. You might
get away with only dunking the crumb catcher plate in the
vinegar/bleach and then let it soak in soapy water overnight to
dissipate whatever odour remains. If that doesn't do it then redo the
whole toaster and blow it dry. Let it dry overnight before using it.
BTW toasters are relatively cheap, about $10-$15. Is it worth the
effort?

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... [] - Please write your complaint legibly in that box.