George E. Cawthon

TURTLE wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message

Electric water heater is an A.O. Smith 40 gallon "low-boy" (short and fat)
about 10 years old. It's in a Florida condo unit, and from what I see, no
dielectric unions on the copper water lines to and from the heater. I see a
moderate amount of corrosion where the copper fittings connect to the heater.
No leaks. I don't see any rust or particles in the water at the taps. I
think it's a little slow to get hot water out, but not that unreasonable.

Since this is a winter vacation place and I won't be there 24/7 I'm a little
nervous about the tank letting loose when I'm not there, although it is on a
first floor slab and a drain pan is installed...

If I do replace it, dielectric unions are supposed to be used, correct?

Home Depot's selection all seem to have only a 6 year warranty which seems to
be on the low end. Consumer Reports said that brand doesn't matter, that the
warranty does, i.e., more years = heavier duty tank linings, insulation, etc.

Your input appreciated !

Thanks.

-- Paul

This is Turtle.

I could never really figure out when I was suppose to change something till it
broke and then I knew for sure. Now till all the manufactor start stating in
writting that they should change their stuff out in X number of years. i'm going
to just run my stuff till it breaks and then buy me a new one. Now there is
things that you can't do without but hot water is one you can do without it for
a while.

Now I will say this. the tank you have now [ 10 years old ] is probley in better
condition than any new one you would buy today. Why trade off a good piece of
equipment to install the newer piece of trash they have today.

TURTLE

Yes, there is no reason to replace it. The OP should turn
the supply valve (at the tank) off and turn the electricity
off to the tank if he is going to be gone for days (mainly
for peace of mind). Tanks don't suddenly burst and blow
water all over, they start leaking, so just check it
periodically for leaks. If you want to worry about
something worry about a washer hose bursting.