David Billington

Maybe i'm missing something but I don't see how a normal follow rest can
be used for this when using an offset tailstock. Due to the offset if
the follow rest was touching at the chuck end then when at the tailstock
end it would provide no support.

Anthony wrote:

David Billington wrote in
k:

I have been asked if I can make some items that use a steel rod tapering
from 1/4" down to 3/32" over about 7". All I can think of at the moment
is to try and turn it but using a special tailstock centre to allow it
to be placed in tension and offset the tailstock to set the taper as
normal. The taper doesn't have to be accurate, it could be slightly
barreled, but does need to be smooth. Any body have any better ideas.

Radius nosed wheels in your follow rest. Turn between centers.