David Billington

Unforetunately these are subjected to bending in use and I was aiming
to use EN24T (817M40) (4340?) which I have some of in 1/4" diameter.
Makes it a more challenging project.

Eric R Snow wrote:

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 23:51:55 +0000, David Billington
wrote:

Harrison M300, no taper attachment and not likely to buy one,
bridgeport. Quantity maybe 4 at the moment and more occasionally. I
would make some simple tooling for it if it didn't take more than a
couple of hours for interest sake. It not really a commercial thing.

Fred R wrote:

What kinds of machines do you have for this job?
How many do you need to make; in other words, how much is it worth to
build some tooling/fixtures?

What I'm toying with is the idea of a custom travel rest with a good
heavy sleeve bearing for the 1/4 stock, sturdy tool on the compound.
Some method* to produce the taper from small end to large end as the
slide moves toward the head end. Take the full cut in one go, like in
a box turning cutter.

* methods could range from CNC to judicious handwheel turning based on
a table of dial marks vs slide travel. An actual taper attachment for
the cross slide would make this a piece of cake, even avoid eating it
all in one whack.

Sounds like fun to someone who doesn't have to do it!

Greetings David,
One thing that may work is to use oversize stock, say 3/8" or 1/2",
and turn it down all at once. If you used Ledloy (12L14) I think it
may work for you. If I was doing it I'd start with 1/2" 12L14 and
centerdrill the end. Then, cut a groove down to 3/32" about 3/16" wide
and about 1/4" back from the centerdrilled end. Or, if you dont like
that put in a very small center, about 1/16" dia. Anyway, after the
parts were all drilled put them back in the machine and turn all at
once. If you use the groove method you will need a narrow tool or you
will need to enlarge the groove so your tool can get all the way down
to 3/32". In case you don't know, 12L14 is a leaded steel alloy that
turns so well some folks call it "Dark Aluminum". After turning cut
off the end if you used the groove method.. BTW, does your tailstock
have enough travel to get the desired taper?
ERS