xrongor

"orangetrader" wrote in message
Part of the bolt broke off, leaving a stem sticking out.

I finally was able to remove the whole assembly. Looking at it inside and
out there is no brand name on it. I took it to HD and tried to match
their
lockset and the positions of the bolts and levers are all at different
locations.

I then took it to a locksmith and had it looked at. First one told me he
has never seen one like it and I need to replace it completely, but he
does
not know who makes it and has nothing that will fit.

The second locksmith looked at it and said "yeah I have seen these". But
then he told me this lockset came with the door when it was originally
purchased and he had in previous occasions tried to find the manufacturer
when he had others with similar problems. No luck. He told me I have to
get a replacement mortisse but he has no idea where to get it. He also
said
getting something else to replace the entire assembly will not work, the
door holes were done to fit that lock only.

He also said I should not get replace the whole thing, since this is an
expensive lock. He looked at it and said the cylinder he can replace but
just that is a $100 cylinder I have there.

I spent the entire afternoon driving around, and so far the only option
seems to be to replace the entire exterior door?

another consideration is to install a deadbolt in this door. it wasnt clear
if the thing didnt work at all or if it just wouldnt lock...

randy