Colbyt

"orangetrader" wrote in message
I have an exterior metal door and the lock is broken. I took the lock

apart
and I cannot tell if this lock set is a special one or a standard one,
standard meaning I can find another one to replace what I have and I don't
need to drill new holes for it.

Once I took it apart, the door has five holes.

In the middle where the key entry is, the door has an elongated hole, of
about 1-1/2 inch in height. Below that about 3/4" further down, is

another
round shape small hole of 1/2" in diameter, below this hole, about 1 inch
further down, is another round hole of 1/2" in diameter. The pattern is
symmetrical on top, two round holes. So to recap, from the top, a round
hole of 1/2" diameter, below that around around hole same diameter, and
below that the elongated elliptical hole, below that, another round hole

and
one more round hole at the bottom. Altogether 5 holes, four of them are
identical diameter about 1/2". The door is about 2" thick, but with a

"lip"
at the end, I think the effective thickness is may be 1-7/8". The top

round
hole is where the key entry is. The forth hole from top is where the dead
bolt is, the "set back" from the edge of the door to the center of the
elongated hole is about 1-1/4".

I don't know if I am making sense. But I need to get a replacement lock

and
I am not sure how to go to the store to find a matching replacement. The
measurements are approximate. I cannot just take the whole lock there,
because the middle piece that is supposed to be embedded inside the door I
cannot take out completely. It is loose, and I can slide it in and out
almost, but something is stucked, looks like there are another two small
screws for the dead bolt that is inside the assembly that may be in the

way,
looked like tiny tiny allen screws.

Any advise? What measurements are important to take to the store to find
something to replace it?

Thanks in advance,

It sounds like you have an "entry lockset" but you description doesn't ring
any bells with me. The simplist course of action is to identify the brand
you have and buy the same lockset.

If your door has a handle (as opposed to a knob or lever) these usually must
be removed before the inside the door portion of the lock can be removed.
There is a lever that moves when the button is depressed and this is why the
handle must be removed.

If I were in your place, I would take pictures of the lock in place and
with as much of it removed as possible. I would visit a real locksmith with
my keys and those pictures. Here you most likely will achieve
identification.

What part of the lock is not working?

Colbyt