Mike Faithfull

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

You've had a new boiler fitted which relies on a vent for the air needed
for combustion? You're mad. Sorry to say so. Nobody in their right mind
did this 30 years ago - let alone now.

When you're at the limit of what you can't really afford anyway, you have to
make compromises - replacing the old boiler like for like, more or less, was
the cheapest option. A conventional floor standing unit is lower cost than
a more modern condensing boiler, and the flue was already in place for
re-use. I will hold my hands up to making an assumption that the new unit
would be as basic and simple as the old one (ultra-reliable, only
thermocouples ever needed replacing) but it has electronic gubbins, pressure
switches and fans in it - all extra stuff to wear out and go wrong that I
didn't want. But there we are, job done now. We're warm and safe!