Jan Homuth

Hi David,
if you have a lathe:
use thicker stock material, face on both sides and bore center on both sides
w. center drill.

turn between centers, with tailstock set over and use a travel rest.
on both sides leave about 1/2" long thick for later use in the chuck
then mount the chuck and cut off either end

If you do not have a travel rest you may use some square material, drill a
hole and insert a round brass bar with the end cut to a V. This will be just
right to avoid too much flex. (Lubricate well: gear oil is just fine).

/jan

David Billington schrieb in im
Newsbeitrag: ...
I have been asked if I can make some items that use a steel rod tapering
from 1/4" down to 3/32" over about 7". All I can think of at the moment
is to try and turn it but using a special tailstock centre to allow it
to be placed in tension and offset the tailstock to set the taper as
normal. The taper doesn't have to be accurate, it could be slightly
barreled, but does need to be smooth. Any body have any better ideas.