Grant Erwin

What if you set the tailstock over the opposite way (away from the operator),
used a follower rest, and cut it with the narrow end to the headstock? - GWE

David Billington wrote:

Due to the slenderness I think it won't work without special support.
Fred R comment got me thinking a bit more and I am considering making a
brass bar with a 1/8" radius groove to support the bar against the
cutting force and act as a fixed steady. Due to it being 1/4" diameter
it'll bend near the chuck without probllem and allow the steady to be
set at the required angle.

jim rozen wrote:

In article , David
Billington
says...

I have been asked if I can make some items that use a steel rod tapering
from 1/4" down to 3/32" over about 7". All I can think of at the moment

is to try and turn it but using a special tailstock centre to allow
it to be placed in tension and offset the tailstock to set the taper
as normal. The taper doesn't have to be accurate, it could be
slightly barreled, but does need to be smooth. Any body have any
better ideas.

I think this would typically be done using a taper attachment.

If you don't have a taper attachment, turn it between centers
and set over the tailstock.

Jim