Ken Grunke

David Billington wrote:
I have been asked if I can make some items that use a steel rod tapering
from 1/4" down to 3/32" over about 7". All I can think of at the moment
is to try and turn it but using a special tailstock centre to allow it
to be placed in tension and offset the tailstock to set the taper as
normal. The taper doesn't have to be accurate, it could be slightly
barreled, but does need to be smooth. Any body have any better ideas.

Don't know anything about your special tailstock center, I assume it has
some kind of chuck--but if you were to offset the tailstock in the usual
way for tapers, something like that is not likely to work unless it has
some kind of swivel joint.

I might try turning the bulk of it off on the lathe, then finish off
with grinding, sanding or filing while spinning.

If it doesn't have to be accurate, chuck a 1/4" shaft in a portable
drill and grind it while spinning. Start with a coarse wheel, then
finish off with a belt sander which would give a fairly straight taper
if the sander's platen were long enough.

Or chuck it in a drill press, and use an angle grinder.

Ken Grunke

--
take da "ma" offa dot com fer eemayl