SteveB

I haven't tried looking in an actual welding supply store, but I
have been looking in larger hardware stores. I'm curious about
the usefulness of various lower end welding torches. I've had about
six hours experience using an oxy-acetylene torch, but I've
never owned one. My usage would be occasional art projects, nothing
regular. I am hesitant about renting cylinders since if they sit
there for a month without being used, I'll feel like I'm wasting
money.

At the really low end, of course, are the propane ones. Even the
oxygen-propane models I suspect are fairly limited and not going
be able to do much. I've heard they are okay for cutting, and
cheaper than oxy-acetylene for that, though.

In the $250 to $300 range there are several small oxy-acetylene
setups, like this one:

http://store.weldingdepot.com/cgi/we...2GKA50-TC.html

The cylinders are small, but I expect sporatic use. It comes with
just one size each of brazing and cutting tip, but that site sells
a bunch of others with compatible connectors. Is this a good small
set up, or does it have drawbacks I'm not seeing?

The scale of the work I would be doing is probably bigger than a
mouse and smaller than a sheep dog. E.g tire iron candelabra.

I see several posts recommending large tanks. OK if you use them
enough -- but there is an advantage to the smaller 40 and 20 cu ft
bottles: they don't have to be periodically re-certified. That
means you don't get an annual "maintenance fee" from the supplier.

If a smaller one will last you a month or more in normal use, they
are a lot easier to deal with. I have an R oxy and B acet that I use
with my Lil' Torch, fill them every couple of years!

Just my $.02 that I have learned from welding since 1974 ...........

You get what you pay for. Low end equipment is not made well. It is VERY
hard to get serviced. When you have trouble with it, you may as well toss
it. I would suggest that you look at Victor equipment. A new set will cost
you about $550, and a used set half that or less.

Bottles are best when bought. That way, you don't have any hassle ever. If
you just do the smaller weld jobs, get the smaller ones. But then, you have
to watch so you don't run out.

Trouble is, this stuff is addictive, and you just have to have MORE. You
may outgrow one setup. If you limit yourself with a small low end setup,
you won't be able to do bigger jobs, and will end up spending that money
anyway.

I need an OA setup. I would consider nothing but a Victor Journeyman, and I
would like to find one used. If I can't, I will just go and buy one new. I
know that they work so well that a used one would be a good bet to get a lot
of work out of. And a new one would certainly have years in it before
service. Tips and stuff are readily available at yard sales and pawn shops,
or other places.

Don't limit yourself, your talent, or your capabilities by cheaping out on
equipment. If you are really serious about this venture, think long term.
Unless you can buy stuff really cheap, then sell it if you don't like it,
you will take a beating in the wallet.

Steve