J. Clarke

Chris Nail wrote:

I've got a friend that is contemplating the purchase of a radial arm
saw vs. a sliding compound miter saw. Most of the work will be around
his home as he's doing "home improvement" type work. I don't have a
clue about a radial arm saw but have used a sliding compound miter saw
some. Could you all please give some advantages/disadvantages or
compare the two?

If it's going to be the only saw in his shop and those are the choices then
the RAS, no question--it's a general-purpose saw, not specialized for one
cut--it can do most of what a table saw can do, most of what a SCM saw can
do, and has a few tricks of its own, but to get it to work satisfactorily
will take some effort in the initial setup and regular monitoring to make
sure it hasn't gone off adjustment. If on the other hand, he's looking for
something specifically for miters and other angled cuts and already has a
table saw then the SCM will likely be a better bet for him--since those are
all it does the design is optimized for the purpose.

If he does go with the RAS, though, make sure he gets the Jon Eakes and Mr.
Sawdust (just google those names and you should find them quickly enough)
books on the RAS. Lots of good advice there.

Thanks,

Chris Nail

--
--John