Bob G.

On 10 Feb 2005 07:46:38 -0800, "Chris Nail"
wrote:

I've got a friend that is contemplating the purchase of a radial arm
saw vs. a sliding compound miter saw. Most of the work will be around
his home as he's doing "home improvement" type work. I don't have a
clue about a radial arm saw but have used a sliding compound miter saw
some. Could you all please give some advantages/disadvantages or
compare the two?

Thanks,

Chris Nail

==================================
I am another guy who owns both ....although my CMS is NOT a sliding
CMS... and my Radial Arm saw has not been moved off a 90 degree cut
in the last 10-15 years that I can remember...

For home improvement work etc... my choice would be a regular CMS..
(I have not found any real need for the sliding feature) ...at least
Not that I remember.... the reasons I bought the saw as of course
trim work and portability...

If I was a young man and was just setting up my woodshop I most likely
would forget about the RAS and go with a SLIDING CMS....but honestly
just to save space...I find the RAS required almost an entire wall in
my shop...

In my shop...I do use my RAS ...as a cut off saw.. or an ocassional
dado etc.. and I Never pull out the CMS just no reason to ..

Hope this helps your friend ... it really all comes down to what he
really needs to use the machine for... sorry but for doing a few
picture frames I still go straight for my Tablesaw..for cutting the
miters

Bob Griffiths
..