PrecisionMachinisT

"Dave Baker" wrote in message

PrecisionMachinisT wrote in message

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in message
snip-

Any chucking reamer has an inherent back taper designed and ground

about
the
diameter....generally its ~.002 / inch--and as such, they certainly

*do*
lose a bit of diameter *each and every* time that you re-sharpen

them.

While chucking reamers do have taper as you suggest, it is much more

gentle.
Typically, a small chucking reamer (3/8", for example) would have

about
half thou taper in it's entire flute length.

You can usually tell if a reamer has been reground by checking the

shank,
between the flutes and the area used to grip the reamer. Taper for

the
flutes is generally set there before grinding a reamer to resize it.

That
way one can alter the size of a reamer by tenths with no risk of

ruining
its
size while making the proper setup. As I said, I've reground a

large
number of reamers in my day, and that's the process I was taught to

use
by
my mentor, who had spent his life time in the grinding room.

Because chucking reamers cut on the chamfer, Dave is somewhat right in

that
you can sharpen them time and again and not lose size, but you're

limited
by
the center hole on the cutting end. As you repeatedly sharpen them,

you
run into it, so you have to lose the center hole---but by then you

generally
are satisfied that the reamer cuts the desired size, so it's no big

loss.

Harold,

Okay, I'll buy that--I just miked one and it came in ~ .0005 / in.
backtaper....

No **** Sherlock?

When you think about it, a reamer *can't* work properly with no

taper--all
you have to do here is consider in theory what would happen if the taper
were reversed....tapered hole and entire flank would drag........

Thinking about it isn't your strong point then it seems. How do you

suppose
reamers that are actually designed to produce tapers like taper pin

reamers
and Morse taper reamers work if every reamer needs to have a back taper?

Do
you even know what the back taper on a chucking reamer is there for or how
the amount of taper is determined?

Your obviously a freaking moron......

That's a *tapered* reamer, and its *designed* to produce a *tapered*
hole.....and it has little to nothing in similarity to a chucking reamer in
operation except they both enlarge holes.

Mainly I saw the opportunity to harass Dave

How very mature of you whoever you are. I'll guess at either the numpty

who
was banging on about honing not being able to compensate for the previous
machining op or his pal but I can't be bothered to hunt back through the
archives to find out. Must be a bit galling to have a swipe at someone

else
and then end up finding you're talking absolute nonsense yourself though

eh?

Again, your idiocy is displayed......

Does a standard chucking reamer have backtaper or not ???

a bit and just *couldnt resist*
the temptation......my main point being that size is *definately*

The word you're grasping for here is 'definitely'

And what a compleat looser you are......

===

Actually, Ive spent ~3 decades machining--mostly aerospace, and most of it
to tighter tolerances than you could ever hope for playing with automotive
engines in your "speed shop".......

And once again, your clear off in left field when it comes to general
machining knowledge, as is the usual case.

--

SVL