Ed Huntress

"Tim Williams" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
What about harold's favorite, Stellite? That was around well
before HSS was developed, right? Granted you could not just
cook some up on the kitchen stove...

Assuming you could find the materials and had a way to measure them

(alloys
are pretty strict for the Stellites), you'd need the kitchen stove from

Hell
to cook it up. g

Eh, not too bad.
http://www.matweb.com/search/Specifi...bassnum=NSTA33
Says melting point 2290°F, though no mention if that's complete fusion or
just liquidus or solidus.

For the tungsten, you could raid the welding shop (or golf shop, for
tungsten-weighted clubs). I don't know how you'd get it to dissolve

though,
you'll need a hell of a hammer to bash all the tungsten to a powder.
Chromium could come from plating shops, if there's any around. As
mentioned, you can't get much from bumpers; plating shops might have some
bulk metal or chemical but besides that there isn't much else using it.
Cobalt, magnets maybe?

Besides those possibilities, it'll probably take a skilled alchemist g

concentrate the materials alloyed in other things. Say...could you melt
some alloy steel and run air through it ala Bessemer, burning out the
"impurities" as oxides which you then collect and seperate later?

If we get sent back in time, Tim, you're *not* in charge of making cutting
tools. g

--
Ed Huntress