Jon Elson

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

Pretty much what Grant said. Good compressors run slowly, which is one of
the reasons they don't make a ton of noise. I, too, own a Quincy, and
have had it for roughly 35 years. 5 horse, 3 phase, 80 gallon tank. I've
had to replace one seal and a gasket in those years. They just don't make
things like they used to! :-)

Yup, that's the truth. I picked up a badly beaten Quincy 2-cyl 2-3 Hp
single-stage
compressor at a scrap yard. It had pneumatic unloader controls, and the
1 Hp motor
ran continuously. I rigged up electronic dual-mode controls for it, and
upped the motor
to 2 Hp, and changed the pulley. Amazingly, it ran QUIETER! (Turning
at 450
RPM, the intake valves were bouncing, when I upped the speed to 910 RPM
the valves operated cleanly.) Even though it had been beaten up a bit,
I just
put on a new safety relief, new inlet filter and tightened the fittings
for the unloaders,
and it has run fine for a couple of years. I think it was made about
1968, and used
by the phone company to run wire wrap tools or something like that. The
thing
probably has 10,000 to 25,000 hours of rotation on it, and probably has
never
been rebuilt!

Jon