I will drill a few test holes as suggested earlier to get an idea of
what may be inside and relieve any possible differences in pressure if
it is a double wall. If it turns out that there is some insulating
material that can not be removed or has a temperature problem then it
may not be possible to use the tank.

Dave Hinz wrote:
On 10 Feb 2005 13:18:11 -0800,

wrote:
I'm not sure it'll fit the desired purpose very well, either.
Just because it's good at keeping very cold things very cold,
doesn't mean that the materials used for such will be good for
high temperature insulation as well.

The heat from the glory hole flame never makes direct contact with

the
metal. You line the inside with an insulating material(frax). You

can
use a little as a metal trashcan. In this case, the glass work

being
done needs an opening larger than a trashcan can provide.

Gotcha. I guess that makes sense, but I'm still not convinced that

just
because something is good for cold, it'll be good for heat. As an
extreme example, styrofoam wouldn't make the transition real well. I

don't
know how perlite or mylar do at high temps, or what the temp there is.