Gary A in KC

The 2 rockers I've built use curved, laminated back slats. Probably 1 1/4"
wide with total thickness probably just under 3/8" or so. The curve gives
tremendous lumbar support and the thickness gives a small amount of flex for
comfort. A real nice trick is how they are inserted into the seat and the
crest rail. The top and bottom of the slats are shaped down to round dowel
shapes. Then the mating holes in the seat and crest rail are drilled twice.
Once dead vertical, then a second time slightly offset and at about an 8
degree angle. This gives the slats some built it flex and stress relief to
further help the slats conform to your back.
Overall, everyone who has sat in the chairs has been surprised how
comfortable they are for a solid wood chair and that you can sit in them for
a great length of time without fatigue or discomfort.

Gary in KC

"firstjois" wrote in message
news

Gee, if you are starting from no place in particular then I'd like to

write
a word or two about the rocking chair back. The back of the rocker should
be easy on the human back, those round dowel-type spokes are pretty tough
on the back if you stay in the rocker a while.

Josie