Ned Simmons

In article , huntres23
@optonline.net says...
"Ned Simmons" wrote in message

Which brings up a problem at least as serious as obtaining the raw
materials to make HSS -- the energy required to do metallurgy with
refractory metals in a small isolated place like Nantucket. I'm sure
there'd be higher priority uses for the limited energy available than
making modern metalworking tools.

Driftwood charcoal probably isn't specified in the metallurgy manuals. g

Actually, I haven't been there for many years, but I remember seeing
orchards there. Maybe applewood charcoal is a little more consistent.

Try telling the orchard owner facing winter in the North
Atlantic that you need a few cords of his firewood to make
a drill bit g.

Given the difficulties of coming up with anything better, and the relative
ease of carburizing common grades of plain, low-carbon steel, making plain
carburized steel for tools looks like the best solution by far. The
limitation is that, compared to the 1,000F or so maximum operating
temperature of HSS, you have to keep maximum temperature at the cutting edge
to something on the order of 350 or 400F.

And who's in a hurry in 1200BC Nantucket anyway?

Ned Simmons