Koz

Gene Kearns wrote:

On 10 Feb 2005 05:55:47 -0800, wrote:

I was planning on making a boxed in area using railroad ties to grow
apple trees and garden berries. Also planed on building a fence using
railroad ties as posts and growing blackberries.

Someone on another group said nt to do that because of the pressure
treatment of railroad ties or cresote. Is this a problem? I think these
ties are old. I can get them for free from a local company that uses
them to stack wood flooring on.

IF you are thinking of the long haul.... use stone. I used crossties
to landscape my property in the late 70's. Many have turned to
mulch... they'll be replaced with stone.

Same problem here....the outside survives well but the cores are not
saturated with the stuff so you get a hollow log over time. Still looks
great ont he outside but collapses like a cardboard box under pressure.

Also, the last time I pulled any ties the core had carpenter ants living
nicely inside as well as a few termites (Washington state on the wet
side). They may be a cheap and easy solution but don't think they'll be
the best choice in the long run.

The next time I do anything needing a tie or stone, I'll probably go the
extra mile and make my own hypertufa blocks. They are fairly light, can
be made in any shape you want, look like stone (over time) and last
forever if done right. Pretty cheap way to go if you don't include the
labor to make them in the costs.

Koz