Paul King

Paul Heslop wrote:
Can I ask a largely unrelated question about the same subject? In a
previous email to uk.d-i-y it was suggested that to test if your motor
was broke you should test to see if it had gone "open circuit"
otherwise it should have a resistance of 2,500 Ohms. Well my motor
seems to measure approx 200 Ohms (maybe I misread it) but doesn't seem
to work. I took the motor out (but kept it wired) and turned on the
system, measured 240 Volts across the motor, but nothing happens. I
would assume therefore that the motor had gone. Is this correct? Why
is it then measuring a finite resistance?

Many thanks for the help

I *THINK* 2,500 ohms is about right for a working motor - you might have
shorted turns, resulting in the 200 ohm reading you're getting, and a
non-functioning motor because of the shorts. But, generally, they go open.
What you *REALLY* need to do is measure how much current its pulling. No
current = knackered, *LOTS* of current(Amps worth) = knackered too
somewhere in the happy middle (and a ticking/whirring noise) = happy joy