Larry Jaques

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 08:56:21 -0500, the inscrutable "firstjois"
spake:

Patriarch wrote:
JOAT has been telling wannabe wood dorkers to build a rocker, rather
than a crib or cradle, for children on the way. He's right.

We have one grandchild approaching two years old, and two more due
by mid summer. Their cribs are taken care of. I'd like to build a
rocking chair. Actually, maybe three or four.

[snip]

So, waddaya got to share?

Patriarch

Gee, if you are starting from no place in particular then I'd like to write
a word or two about the rocking chair back. The back of the rocker should
be easy on the human back, those round dowel-type spokes are pretty tough
on the back if you stay in the rocker a while.

TIP: Leave the very center of the back open.

I've never understood why chairs were made with a dead-center slat or
dowel. These hit you right on the bony part of your spine. I came to
realize that chairs were much more comfortable when built with even-
numbered vertical slats than ladder or odd-numbered v-slat chairs for
that very reason.

Oddly enough, most chairs are built the uncomfortable way.

--
STOP LIVING LIKE VEAL