Doug Winterburn

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 07:46:38 -0800, Chris Nail wrote:

I've got a friend that is contemplating the purchase of a radial arm saw
vs. a sliding compound miter saw. Most of the work will be around his
home as he's doing "home improvement" type work. I don't have a clue
about a radial arm saw but have used a sliding compound miter saw some.
Could you all please give some advantages/disadvantages or compare the
two?

SCMS
less expensive new
more portable than RAS
less setup and tuning than RAS

RAS
Able to rip as well as crosscut
able to do fixed height operations such as dados
as well as dado stacks, can use molding heads, drill chucks and more
has wider crosscut capacity than (some) SCMS

- Doug