Larry Jaques

On 10 Feb 2005 06:44:36 -0800, the inscrutable "Bugs"
spake:

Creosote isn't harmful in nature. It is a natural repellent for
insects. The stuff you want to watch out for is the fresh 'treated'
lumber sold in hardware & garden stores. They are pressure treated with
arsenic and other unfriendly chemicals.
I prefer R.R. ties any time, although they cost about $10 here.
Bugs

It's nearly spring and I'm having a 'unit' dropped here today. $6.99
each bought in units (lots of 25.)

I -won't- be using them near my organic herb and veggie garden.

More info:
http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts85.html (Neutral(?) site)

From www.creosoteresources.com (speaking weasel site)
"Many chemicals manufacturers have been producing dangerous or toxic
chemicals for decades. Creosote is one of them. Creosote has been
regarded as a carcinogenic chemical compound since the late seventies.
The substance is often used as a preservative for many structural and
permanent wood products. Creosote is made in a high temperature
treatment process. Usually derived from coal, various woods or the
namesake of the substance: the creosote bush.

Creosote works well as a preservative and a bug repellent.
Unfortunately the substance is very common and millions of pounds of
creosote are manufactured each year and much is inevitably introduced
to the soil, air and ground water. High levels of exposure, or
exposure to creosote over time can cause skin problems, kidney and
liver problems, possible birth defects, unconsciousness and death.
Creosote is often introduced to the body through contact with wood
that is treated with creosote in houses, railroad tracks, telephone
poles and in other applications; and from drinking water that is
contaminated by creosote."

--
STOP LIVING LIKE VEAL