Andrew V

Go for it, I ran a landscape biz for 12 yrs and built lots of things out of
used ties. A couple of things to keep in mind:
They are very dirty and the creosote can/will irritate your skin. They cut
well with a chainsaw, but look out for spikes and other bits of metal buried
in them, also you will wreck the chain you use. I used to do the
construction and then hit them with the pressure washer, they clean up nice.
to hold then together drill 7/16" holes (I used a ships auger bit) and drive
1/2" rebar thru them. For walls step successive courses back approx 1" each.
Get a helper they are heavy.

Enjoy

Andrew V
wrote in message
oups.com...
I was planning on making a boxed in area using railroad ties to grow
apple trees and garden berries. Also planed on building a fence using
railroad ties as posts and growing blackberries.

Someone on another group said nt to do that because of the pressure
treatment of railroad ties or cresote. Is this a problem? I think these
ties are old. I can get them for free from a local company that uses
them to stack wood flooring on.