PrecisionMachinisT

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
If you buy a POS Husky or Sears (or Campbell-Hausfeld, or Coleman, or
Tinkertoy for that matter) you will feel like your own nickname. And not
even any K-Y. These little consumer-grade air compressors are ALL loud,
run hot, vibrate, don't live up to their specs, and are short-lived. In
the last 3 months I've seen 2 dead Craftsman "5 hp" air compressors at
yard sales people were trying to give away. Both still shiny.

Forget ebay. Look in your local classifieds. I see old industrial

compressors
*all* *the* *time* for $500 or less, real workhorses. I picked one up a

few
years ago, an old Quincy 2-stage unit I paid $100 for, and I put a few

bucks
into it and it's run perfectly ever since. It replaced a 1.5hp Sanborn
contractor's 2-wheel type, and the Quincy is MUCH quieter than the little
Sanborn was. I run it off of 240 single phase, by the way (that was what
the bucks were for, I swapped it from 440 3 phase to 240 single phase).

My advice is guaranteed. To be worth exactly what you paid for it.

Referring
once again to your "peevee" nickname, opinions are like a**holes.

Everybody
has one. You just read mine.

Grant,

I been using a campbell cast iron compressor for about 5 years in a
commercial shop, likely my service duty is at least twice double the design
rating, if not 3 X.........this meaning that it ran pretty much constantly
all the time, 40 hours/week--feeding air to 3 cnc machines same basic make /
model as the OP proposes feeding to a single machine......

I finally replaced the head unit just a few months ago, 99 bucks offa ebay.

So now you go ahead and do the math........

Only caveat is any of them will eventually foul the air valves with oil and
trash from the crank case--once the air seal is clogged on any high speed
spindle, the coolant will wash in there and and it will rapidly destroy your
spindle bearing$.......

So when his compressor starts to 'consume oil', he simply needs to get a new
head unit or at least replace the rings....

--

SVL