Harold and Susan Vordos

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message
Awl--

Can't afford Kellogg or Ing Rand, or anything fancy or 2-stage, so I'm
looking at Husky at Home Depot, or some of the Sears stuff. I know

(think?)
I want a belt-driven oil compressor, as opposed to these direct-drive buzz
boxes (I got one--will drive you crazy--a $99 Alton from Sam's Club). I'm
thinking 26 gal vertical.

My main concern is noise. The Kellogg at my old shop was a great big
lub-dub workhorse, decades old, pretty quiet for it's size. And the noise
it did make was didn't penetrate your bones. But you can't really demo
Sears or HD compressors.

No problem going used on a good brand, but ebay is just becoming outta

sight
and useless. Actually cheaper to buy Sears new, in many cases! But maybe
not better.

Any comments on various brands, noise, reliability? Any other issues
(besides cfm, etc.)? TIA.

Pretty much what Grant said. Good compressors run slowly, which is one of
the reasons they don't make a ton of noise. I, too, own a Quincy, and
have had it for roughly 35 years. 5 horse, 3 phase, 80 gallon tank. I've
had to replace one seal and a gasket in those years. They just don't make
things like they used to! :-)

Harold