Mr Fixit eh

Ok, this is a little embarassing.....

I was curious how the two miter slots could be that much out of
alignment on a Delta cabinet saw, so I spent some more 'quality' time
with my saw. The miter slots ARE parallel to each other within .002".
I used a 4" wide piece of melamine-faced particleboard that fit snugly
in the miter slot, checked to make sure the piece was at 90 degrees to
the tabletop, then clamped the dial indicator-on-a-stick to the miter
gauge. Then I switched sides just as a double-check.

So now I'm really scratching my head. I go back and check the
alignment of the blade to the right-side miter slot, and guess what--it
is now out of alignment by nearly 0.011". I had run about 30 cuts
since I adjusted the blade alignment, and I guess the trunnion has
shifted. Either that, or I'm truly going crazy! Now it does make
sense that the latest cuts were producing much more burning and
starting to see some visible smoke.

So now I'm thinking that it's not the crosscut sled's fault at all, but
still the nasty blade alignment.

I wonder if I'll ever get to the point where I'm spending more time
cutting than adjusting the saw.

Growl.

Mr Fixit eh