George

"Alun Saunders" wrote in message
Derek Andrews wrote:
George wrote:

Blade width is about the diameter circle it'll cut.

Or, conversely, how well it will cut a straight line.

I measured the blade and it's a 3/8". How small a diameter circle could
I realistically cut with that? And would there be any advantage to going
up a size to, say, a 1/2" blade if I decided that the minimum diameter I
could cut with that wouldn't be a problem?

http://www.timberwolf1.com/silicon_steel_slection.asp says 2 1/2 diameter
for 3/8

Good fellows to order from.

Straight lines are the responsibility of the operator, the limitation on
circles is posed by the blade, and is purely geometry. The greater rigidity
(beam strength) of the 1/2" blade, plus the extra amount under control by
the guides makes it a better candidate for larger and thicker work in my
opinion.