Did you get a repair estimate from an authorized Dewalt repair center?
Have you written Dewalt?

I had a very pleasant experience with Dewalt after warranty repair. I
dropped my 18volt drill 10 feet onto the concrete and killed it. I
acknowledged this abuse to the repair center. They said they replaced
most of the guts of the drill, but what they really did was give me a
new model drill (even the chuck and case were new) for $39 total.

I guess I can count my lucky starts. I have the 621 router (4 years old
now) and never had a moment's problem. Maybe I don't use it enough.

Bob