Harold and Susan Vordos

"Eric R Snow" wrote in message
snip----
Harold,
I learned 7 threads. And when I checked this against my gauges it
worked. Most of the time.
ERS

Chuckle! Most of the time? That's the beauty of the shop. I can't
help but wonder if we're at the mercy of poor work turned out by others in
many cases. I've had to tap until I had 4 or fewer threads on more than one
occasion, and have kicked myself for tapping too deep at five, so what you
say certainly makes sense. If nothing else, it's playing it safe. You
can always go deeper. I have never had the luxury of gages (rarely ever
tapped pipe threads for product, only my own use) so I tend to tap to about
5½ threads and call it good.

Harold

Harold