Mike Barnard wrote:
On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 16:21:36 +0000, Mike Barnard
wrote:

Just a quick follow up before I go to bed. Thanks to all and I just
may consider moving the switch outside.

Since that probably means rewiring, there is what would likely be a
simpler solution.

1. Remove the noisy spring, replace it with something weaker so it
operates, but no noisiness.
2. The switch is now no longer 240v rated, so add a miniature 1.1w
transformer and a relay. The mains switch only switches 9v etc, the
relay switches the mains. Mount relay in place with silicone.

There might be another way as well, de[pensing on how its put together:

1. remove the switch inside the case and glue it back with silicone,
which is flexible, non noise tranmitting, and noise absorbing.
2. Remove fitting from ceiling and replace again using silicone rather
than screws - same deal.

NT