mac davis

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 23:53:14 -0500, Leo Van Der Loo
wrote:

Hi Mac

Does your saw have that stupid 45 Degree, hanging motor setup as well ??
Boy what a pain, that was, I changed that on mine, with a plywood shelf
and a big door hinge, don't have no hassle with lining up and tightening
the belt anymore.

No, after assembling the stand (grumble) you set the "bandsaw" on it and bolt to
stand, then bolt the motor on behind it, on rubber grommets..

I wasn't to impressed with my band saw at first, and used it not to often.
Then when I had broken another band and then talked to a vendor at the
local wood show, he asked what I was using my saw for, so I told him
that I used it mainly for cutting wet wood for making turning blanks.
So he goes to his rack gets a band saw blade and says this is the blade
you need, so he gave me a Swedish silicon steel band saw blade, it's a
furniture band .032" thick, 3 tpi and extra wide set, it is called (The
Carver"s & Turner"s band), boy did that ever make a difference.

I was underwhelmed with mine for 2 reasons... couldn't get it to cut a straight
line (even with shop made fence) and it seemed under powered when cutting over 3
or 4 " stock...
I finally decided that it wasn't a setup or alignment problem and changed to the
1/2" 4 tpi blade that I bought... I wanted to start with this blade, but the saw
came with the 1/4" one installed already... *sigh*
The 1/2" blade makes a world of difference... cuts are straight, motor doesn't
bog down, etc... Practiced turning firewood into bowl and box blanks yesterday
and it was awesome!

As it happens my wife and I went to the Chatham-Kent woodworking show
today and I bought a spare band saw blade from the same vendor, paid
$13.65 Can. plus GST and PST taxes for a total $15.70 Can.
The one that I got on now has a slight bumpedy bump in it. G (probably
one of them gnomes been sawing round wood on it, wouldn't know how else
it happened) G
Anyway the main message is get a good blade it makes al the difference
in the world.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

I'll do that.. I had no idea that they were so inexpensive!
The night that I bought the saw, 1/2" was the meanest blade that they had...
(all they had in my size were Ridgid brand)

I'll find a couple of 3/4" blades in a better quality this week...
thanks again, Leo!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing