udarrell

"J Mickler" wrote in message
My Janitrol (Heat Pump)system is 13 years old. The compressor shorted out

to ground and needs to be replaced.
I am getting two different stories on how I should precede.

One side says that the whole unit has to be replace because the new
compressor will not match up with the Heat Exchanger. [?]

The other side says that Goodman manufactures a comparable Compressor
that will match up with the older Heat Exchanger. [?]

The model numbers are Outdoor Compressor CPE18-1AB (1 1/2 ton) the heat
exchanger is model No. A24-10. Any help would be great. Jm

=========
That is a Copeland compressor. It should not be difficult to get the same
BTUH match as the original!

How did the tech check for the short to ground? Did he remove all of the
leads from the compressor and them do an ohm check to a copper line from the
compressor's terminals? Did you verify that it was done correctly?

I have seen them condemn the compressor when it was the "run capacitor" that
was bad. Did both parties do a proper ohms test and then condemn the
compressor?

I lot of things could have caused the compressor failure that have nothing
to do with the quality of the Goodman equipment! I saw the most expensive
equipment fail early. Goodman equipment installed properly and maintained
properly in my 25 years experience in Oklahoma, lasted as good or better
that the most expensive equipment that I did service work on! It is usually
human errors and failures that leads to the failure of equipment. Yes, some
components can be faulty in any make of equipment. I witnessed some of that
in most brands of equipment. ( udarrell )
http://www.udarrell.com/my_pages2.ht...ITIONING_PAGES
--
Shooting Skills - Hitting Running Coyotes - Ballistic Charts
http://www.udarrell.com/hunting_shoo...ics_frames.htm