Dick wrote:

We need to buy new toilets. We currently have very
nice Kohler's, but they are of the 3-1/2 gallon or
possibly more design. We are on a septic system and
need to reduce our water useage. What is the latest
in 1.6 or 1.4 toilet design that doesn't cost an arm
and a leg? We want something that still looks nice
like the Kohlers.

Briggs Vacuity (vacuum assisted) or Gerber Ultraflush (air pressure)
are the best and are under $300. I'd go with a Vacuity since its
mechanism uses mostly common parts. Consumer Reports has reviewed
toilets in the past few years, and they've ranked the Ultraflush near
the top several times.