Frank Erskine

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 16:21:36 +0000, Mike Barnard
wrote:

The ceiling switch in my bathroom is as noisy as hell. Pull the cord
to turn on the light and it makes a very loud "kerching" noise. No,
you can't have a better description!

During the day it's not so bad, you get used to it, but at night it
can wake up my son who sleeps in the room next to the bathroom.

So, who makes a switch thats quiet? I've been in to my local branch
of CEF and tried thiers and I've been to the sheds. They all seem
noisy. (The current one is a Wikes own brand and nearly new). Is it
inherent in the design of the switchgear?

Sheltered homes for the elderly frequently have emergency "pull-cord"
alarm switches. I don't know whether these are "momentary" action or
"latching", but they are silent. I should imagine any wholesaler or
proper retail outlet would be able to source these "no problem".

If they are "momentary" you may be able to buy or build yourself a
switching box to toggle the light on or off.

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland