Ian Stirling

Mike wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 22:42:02 -0000, Mike wrote:

Unfortunately my freezer begs to differ :-) Things got a little
frosty.

If your freezer warmed up to such an extent that the temp rose at more
than 1C/hr then there is something drastically wrong with it or it's
very old and it may well pay to get it replaced. The average freezer
will normally still be cold enough without power for 12hrs or more
provided you don't open it.

It's brand new but I only run it at a few degrees below zero. Have turned
it down further for now but don't like doing this.

Food will spoil fairly rapidly at this temperature. -5C and -20C are rather
different.

My freezer has grown a couple of slabs of 4" insulation on each side,
which does a fair bit for the insulation.
(do make sure that you don't cover any heat exchange surfaces)

snip
I don't think I'd want this coming on automatically, and the wiring would
need major alterations. Original idea was for individual UPSes between the
mains socket and key appliances but this idea doesn't seem practical apart
from for the heating.

It may be fairly minor.
If the lighting ring is adequate for the loads you want to use, and you
are confident that your system is reliable enough to run 24*7.
Doing it ideally is more complex.