John Stumbles

Default Electrician's Box Sinker

"Martin Angove" wrote in message
Since I'm likely to be doing a lot of wiring work in the future, I've
been looking at various tools to make my life easier, and a nice shiny
new SDS drill is top of the list.

BES do a Hitachi or Makita or something similar for £100

Maybe we'll talk about what else I
should get later, but for now what I want to know is, are the
"Electrician's Box Sinker" devices (e.g. Screwfix d74206 / d91913) any
good?

They sound like a great idea, but if I'm going to be spending over £160
on a tool to do a single job I want to know, firstly does it *really*
work, secondly is it easier than other methods and thirdly, will it
last?

Any experience?

The rotary (tct-studded drill) bit makes a hell of a lot of dust, and isn't
that quick. I haven't used it since the time I did a dozen or so boxes in
one room followed by a couple of hours cleaning (the room and myself) up
afterwards! (If you want to buy a slightly used one I'm up for offers :-).

I didn't buy the box-shaped bit.

They (SF) were also doing a sort of bed-of-nails-on-a-stick tool a while
back, but it doesn't seem to be in the catalogue now. Don't know if they
were any good.

On a similar note, what about the channelling chisels (d16724 etc.)?

They work, but the first one I had broke off at the SDS end of the shank
after a while, followed by the drill I was using breaking at the chuck!

Because of the way the tool shank curves ...

---------
\
\ chisel
------|____

.... it generates a lot of sideways impact force which I suspect was what did
for chisel and hammer. If they'd designed it with a straight shank ...

.... and with the chisel end slightly offset (imagine a slight rake upwards -
impossible to show with ascii art!) I think it'd be more robust.

For box sinking I tend to put in a few holes for the the corners and to
break up the body of the cut (and to set the depth) and use a straight
chisel to cut out the rest.

cheers

--
John Stumbles