On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 08:27:47 +0000, someone wrote:

Are you working with a realtor ? What is their opinion ? An
experienced knowledgeable realtor was very helpful at pointing out
detriments to houses my husband and I were smitten with. Having shown
and tried to sell hundreds of homes, they know what buyers want and
what turns them away.

Huh? YOU were the buyer and only YOU know what YOU want. Some of
OP's Q's ae nearly self answering. The house is an oddball and has
not sold in a long time. So does OP want it or not? OP says some
things are big to them yet asks if they should buy?

All that matters is what is satisfactory to THEM. Maybe they can buy
it cheap, and then they should expect to sell it the same way. Buying
for resale is often a crock - YOU are the one who has to live in it -
how much of a warm and fuzzy will it give you, to live in a house you
don't like "but it'll have great resale". Or pass up a house that you
love because someone thinks that someone else won't like it at some
unknown time in the future. Don't torture yourself with what you
think others will think. Buy what you want and live there.

If OP is so worried, they should NOT buy this house. Let someone else
get the bargain.