Patriarch

jaime wrote in
:

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 20:45:38 -0600, Patriarch
wrote:

There are more than a few software people inhabiting this virtual
space. Hence, we often feel it is our livelihood being threatened.

Given the low cost and/or free software made available....

Patriarch

I can understand how you feel but there are many people out there who
cannot afford the high costs of many of these software programs.

Bill Gates has made *billions* off of people for software it probably
cost him less to manufacture then what he retails it for.

Bill Gates isn't the issue here. He's no hero of mine, but that's not
the point.

Free software is available to do the job as well or better. Folks
donated that effort into the public domain so that you and I don't have
to make an ethical decision to use, without compensating the author(s),
software which has not been so donated.

I didn't, and don't, want to make an issue of it. You are free to make
your own choices. But there are those here who feel strongly about
this. Since you are relatively new to this venue, I thought maybe you'd
like to know why some are offended.

Patriarch