Eric R Snow

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 16:16:51 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:

"davefr" wrote in message
.. .
I'd like to learn basic welding for project work/small repairs around
the shop. I don't plan to do anything fancy and most of the work will
be with mild steel.

Which welding technology is easiest to learn and less forgiving for a
newbie?? (acetylene or arc)

Does anyone have a favorite site welding site for newbies?

I would first suggest that you look for a local school, like a Community
College. For what a course costs, you will get a real deal because they
will let you thou$and$ in equipment, and give you lots of practice scrap.
This will let you get your feet wet.

The next thing if that isn't available is to have someone who already knows
how to show you the basics. You can learn as much in watching for ten
minutes as you can in a day from a book.

As a process, MIG is the shortest learning curve.

HTH

Mig is the easiest to learn. Gas welding (oxy-acetylene) is more
versatile because you can cut as well as weld with it. But then you
need to have a selection of tips. You can also soft solder and braze
with gas. And, the torch on your gas welding outfit can be used for
just plain heating up stuff, like frozen pipes or that part you want
to case harden. Also, the techniques used with gas welding can be
applied to TIG welding.. Tig welding is the most versatile. Stick
welding is harder to learn than Mig welding. But with different rods,
and the right welder, there is a huge range of materials you can weld.
Often, you can just buy a pound or two of a special rod for that
special project. And remember, once you have mastered, or at least
feel comfortable with, a particular process you will have the
confidence to try other types of projects that involve different types
of welding. So you really need to decide if you will ONLY be welding
fairlt thin sections of mild steel. Thick pieces require a pretty big
Mig welder. If it was me, and I had unlimited funds, I'd get a Tig
welder. More of a learning curve, but very versatile. If not a Tig,
and limited to only one, it would be a gas welding setup. If I was
ONLY gonna weld thin steel (up to 1/4") then the Mig is the answer. If
you know you will not be needing the heating and cutting abilities of
a torch, and you will be repairing things that are at least 1/8"
thick, and if these things are going to be dirty or painted then I'd
get a stick welder with DC capability. If you can take a welding class
you should. And try to arrange practice on as many different types of
welding as possible.
But all the above is just my opinion.
Good luck,
Eric R Snow,