DoN. Nichols

In article ,
aarcuda69062 wrote:
In article PZ_Md.20618$C24.18831@attbi_s52,
"William" wrote:

wrote in message
I bought a double flaring toolfrom on of the local auto parts places.

[ ... ]

good some were not. Is there a secret in getting consistenly good
flares or maybe I am being to critical of my flares.

Yes you need to file / chamfer the tubing before you flare it, then
carefully set it the correct height in the tool.

It would be nice to have a tool specifically made for chamfering
steel line before double flaring, using a file doesn't always
work out well and the results give so-so uniformity...

Something sort of like chalking a pool cue if you get my drift.

Any ideas?

Yep! There is a tool made for cartridge reloaders (firearms) to
apply after a case-length trimmer. (The case stretches a little with
each firing, and it eventually needs to be trimmed back to length.) One
end looks like a Severance brand multi-flute countersink, and the other
looks like the inverse (only three flutes, IIRC) with a guide pin to
start it roughly centered.

One of these should to a nice job of both chamfering the ID and
the OD to remove burrs.

The one which I have was made by RCBS.

A quick web serach finds the web page describing it:

The pin may be a bit too large for the 1/4" copper or steel line, as
it is expecting a minimum ID to hold a .17 bullet (0.170").

But Severance does make some OD chamfering tools which are like
an inverse of their multi-flute countersinks.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564