Nick Hull

In article ,
"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote:

"Nick Hull" wrote in message
In article ,
"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote:

"Nick Hull" wrote in message
In article ,
"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote:

On my farm equipment I use grade 8 bolts, they hold well and break
clean. Grade 2 and sometimes grade 5 smear at the break and are a

real
dog to get out.

Chuckle!! And if the grade 8 holds and the gear doesn't, how hard and
expensive is it to change the gear(s)?

Shear pins are generally supposed to be the weak link in a
circuit-------intended to fail before expensive components do. If

you've
been shearing grade 8 bolts and they're not undercut, you're one lucky

man,
unless your equipment is designed around the concept. Does the
manufacturer recommend the grade 8 bolts?

I'm using it on VERY old equipment, and the grade 8 bolt IS the weak
link; I shear one or 2 per year and nothinmg else has broken.

Interesting, considering the tensile strength of the bolts.

Tensile doesn't count, only shear.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/