jmiguez

I consider myself a newbie at welding. So maybe my experiences can
help you?

You never mentioned if you have any equipment and what type. I had an
old Sears arc welder that I got from my father. So I naturally decided
to use it. I got a few books from the library read them over and
started practicing. My first welds were horrible. However, I soon had
the hang of it. They still look like Shyt but they hold.

Quickly, I realized the type of welding ZI was doing most often was too
light for the machine. I rented a set of bottles and started brazing.
If you prepare the surface correctly, brazing will work for most of the
light work you may need to do. I find it easier that even the arc
welding and since you don't heat up the metal as much, you tend to
get less warping.

I have no knowledge of MIG and TIG welding. If I was starting from
starch, I would buy a TIG (if I could afford it) or MIG welder. I also
agree with the gentlemen recommending attending a welding course. That
is the best approach. However, you can learn on your own. Just
don't start out building an airplane.

John