Bob G.

I struggled with this same issue. I had a Jet Contractor saw with 30" xacta
fence and fought with sheets goods a number a times. When I got the Jet
Cabinet saw it had the 50" xacta fence. I was going to cut the rails down to
maybe 40" as I didn't think I had the room for the longer fence. However,
before doing anything rash, I set the saw up with the long rails and put it
on a Delta mobile base to see how it worked out. It's been like that for a
year now and I don't intend to change it. Only once in that year did I have
trouble getting something past the saw -- two days ago in fact -- and I
simply lifted the cabinet over the saw. I can always swing the saw 90
degrees if I have to get something past it that is too heavy to lift over
it.

With the dilemma you have, for $100 I'd go with the Delta. Of course you
could take my approach and spend the $100 on a mobile base and leave the
fence alone. ;-)

John

I installed the rails offset about a foot to the left on my Jet...just
to get a little extra room to the right of the saw...in my smallish
shop..
Did this 15 years ago and while I "only" have about 40 couple of
inches for a rip on the right of the blade I have close to 20 on the
left... Works for me....

Bob Griffiths