William

wrote in message
I bought a double flaring toolfrom on of the local auto parts places.
It has the different sized holes for the various line that who are
using. Went and bought a 3ft. piece of tubing 5/16th tubing from Napa
with the flares already formed, cut one end off and went to double
flaring, comparing my flares with the store bought ones. Some were
good some were not. Is there a secret in getting consistenly good
flares or maybe I am being to critical of my flares.

Yes you need to file / chamfer the tubing before you flare it, then
carefully set it the correct height in the tool.

William.....

break one of the tighting bolts, am going to replace it with grade 8
bolt tomorow. I did notice that the store bought flare was not all
that perfect itself.

I just thought that if I spend more money on a decent flareing tool
that it would help with my results. I also bought one of those plier
type benders, got to have a little more practice on that too.

Richard