Wes Stewart

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 20:04:25 -0600, "Darrell Dorsey"
wrote:

"Wes Stewart" wrote in message
news
On 1 Feb 2005 19:05:33 -0800, "Darrell" wrote:

Yes, I got the Delta base and it's worked out fine for me. It seems
to me that there were some assembly order problems, but I don't
remember exactly what they were, so I guess they weren't a big deal.
Just a few long-forgotten swear words [g]. The saw moves around
easily and even in my somewhat cramped space I can "park it" nicely.

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond with some good notes about
your experience.

Not a problem. I had most of it already typed up...just never posted.

I have to say you really have me concerned about my decision to buy the
Delta. Many will say go with the Uni over the imports for the Delta quality
and support. But gee!!!!. For my $1450 I'm expecting a good top, wing and
fence. I'm not expecting a perfect saw, but I sure am expecting good fit
and finish from the top and wing.

Part of my unpublished tale that I left out earlier was:

"In other threads I railed against what I perceived as lousy quality
control and the fact (in my mind) that manufactures didn't sell saws,
they sold saw kits; a bunch of parts that needed to be finished by the
sucker-err---buyer, to complete the construction. I gotta a lot of
flack over that one so without further ado or editorial comment
follows the ongoing story of the Delta Unisaw…"

I stand by those remarks. No matter what you buy, you will get to
finish the product, if my research is any indication. The one ace in
the hole for me was that I bought locally from Woodcraft and they
promised I could bring it back anytime during the first year. I had
to pay sales tax, but Amazon wouldn't offer me this deal. If you have
a local dealer, keep your city green would be my major piece of
advice.

It's easy to wax poetic about these things, but consider what you're
really buying. You're buying a steel box with a motor inside and a
slab of cast iron on top. It is a "tool" used to cut wood (and if my
"shop" is typical, to serve as an extra horizontal work and storage
surface). There are pros and cons to all of them, so make a decision,
buy one, never look back and have fun cutting wood.

Did you get the extension for the mobile base as well?

Yes

Is it needed?

Yes. The right side table (laminate) is supported by a pair of legs.
These in turn are supported by the extension.