Tim Douglass

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 23:17:35 -0700,
wrote:

I'm working on my DC layout. A couple of tools I don't have, but
would have DC requirements are a stationary belt sander, disk sander
(or combo), a router table, and a OSS.

I got to asking myself last night, would I ever really need a
belt/disk sander? An OSS seems handy, but when would I need a
belt/disk sander?

I just added a disk/belt sander to my shop wish list. I was rebuilding
a recliner (long story) and had knocked apart the doweled joints on
the base that had worked loose. Before re-gluing I wanted to square
the ends of the pieces and clean off the old glue. Nothing I had
around the shop short of very careful work on the TS would do the job.
I couldn't take off more than a hair or the mechanism wouldn't fit any
more. I tried careful hand work with a sander but ended up rounding
the ends too much for my satisfaction, although the re-assembled chair
seems strong enough. I occurred to me that a well aligned disk sander
with a table and miter gauge would have made this task trivial. From
there I could see lots of places where it would be useful, so it went
on the list. It does, however, fall below the band-saw and OSS.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com