Fourleaves

I would stay away from sinking lag bolts into end grain and expecting great
long term durability, though it would probably work for a while, perhaps
even a long while.

Here is how I worked things out:

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~fourl...s/IMG_1551.htm

And how I got the

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~fourl...s/IMG_1513.htm

I was going for solid, simple, cheap (hex head bolts are much less expensive
than the bench bolts I looked at) and relatively quick. I hit the marks I
was looking for. I hope this helps. . . Jeff.

http://www.fourleavesworkshop.com/

"AAvK" wrote in message
(snipped)
I thought and thought and thought about how to join them
to the legs and had decided for double wedged tenons, then
discovered the DF is too chippy and weak as a 1" wide
tenon, so I decided to go with blind M&T sunk into 50%
the thickness of the leg using bench bolts instead.

I like the idea but, would it be worse or merely not as good,
if I went with straight-in hex-head lag bolts instead of the
bench bolts? Does one have a serious advantage over the
other or would it be an equal call? I really want the better
of the two ideas, please. TIA!